Class is in session! Part of a healthy skin care journey involves understanding which cosmetic ingredients will actually help your skin.
Oatmeal, extracted from the Avena sativa L plant, is one of the best skin care ingredients there is when it comes to soothing inflammed skin. On a cosmetic label, it can appear as colloidal oatmeal (aka simply finely ground oats), oat extract or avena sativa extract.
What are the Benefits of Colloidal Oatmeal?
- Oatmeal soothes inflammation(with the pain and itching that go with it) . Triggers like UV radiation will cause your skin to release prostaglandins which dilate your blood vessels and result in inflamed, irritated skin. Oatmeal will reduce the level of prostaglandins, calming the irritation and restoring the moisture barrier.
- Oatmeal is cleansing. It is a natural source of saponins-a group of natural carbohydrates found in plants, that have great cleansing abilities.
- Oatmeal has antioxidant properties. Antioxidants reduce harmful free radical damage that may result in premature aging, fine lines and even skin disease.
How to Include Colloidal Oatmeal in Skin care
Oatmeal is truly remarkable when it comes to soothing dry, sensitive, inflammed skin like eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis. Luckily, there are many washes, lotions, creams, masks and DIY recipes with oatmeal as an active ingredient.
A common quick fix for calming itchy skin is soaking in an oatmeal bath.
Quick Oatmeal Bath
5 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
3 cups non instant oat flakes
Combine the oat flakes and oil. Mix until the oats are coated with oil.
Pour into old tights and securely knot.
Add the ‘bag’ to a bath tub with lukewarm water and soak for a good 20 to 30 minutes.
Discard the ‘bag’ after use.
The bath will soothe the itching and also soften and moisturize your skin. Take it a step further and slather yourself in a well formulated oat-laden moisturizer immediately after gently patting your skin dry.
Try Colloidal Oatmeal in…
- Aveeno skin care. If you are in Kampala, you can find Aveeno skin care at Silverbacks Pharmacy in Lugogo Mall and at Unity Skin Clinic in Acacia Mall
- Dermalogica Clinical Oatmeal Masque
Please note that I can’t guarantee that all of the make-up and skincare products I recommend will suit you. Everyone’s skin is different and it’s possible to be allergic to anything. Wherever possible, patch test your products before purchasing.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin