The key to great skin is knowing your skin type and using products that are suitable for it.
When you have dry skin, moisturizer is usually your friend. You would also think that any plant oil would be excellent in sealing much needed moisture in your skin. I’m afraid not.
If you would like to add the Oil Cleansing Method to your routine, be sure to select oils that will benefit your dry skin.The comedogenicity(ability to clog pores) and composition of the oils will play a major factor in determining which ones to include in your routine.
The comedogenicity of an oil is a rating of how potentially irritating it is, resulting in clogged pores. The rating runs from 0 -5.
0 – Will Not Clog Pores
1 – Low
2 – Moderately Low
3 – Moderate
4 – Fairly High
5 – High
When it comes to comedogenicity the lower, the better.
Oils are made up of several components, Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) being some of them.
- Oleic acid, Omega -9 is a monounsaturated fatty acid
- Linoleic acid, Omega – 6 is a polyunsaturated fatty acid
Dry skin benefits the most from oleic rich oils which really moisturize it.
Oils Ideal for Dry Skin (Higher in Oleic Acid)
In the list below, the name of the oil will be followed by its comedogenicity, and the amount of oleic and linoleic acid it contains.
- Avocado Oil (2), Oleic acid 63%, Linoleic acid 9.8%
- Apricot Kernel Oil(2), Oleic acid 64.2%, Linoleic acid 28.3%
- Hazelnut Oil (2), Oleic acid 79.2 %, Linoleic acid 12%
- Shea Butter Oil (0), Oleic acid 73.15%, Linoleic acid 13.71%
- Macadamia Oil (1), Oleic acid 53.8%, Linoleic acid 1.8%
- Sea Buckthorn Oil (1), Oleic acid 28.4%, Linoleic acid 6.8%
- Olive Oil (2), Oleic acid 55.28%, Linoleic acid 17.84%
- Sweet Almond Oil (2), Oleic acid 66.6%, Linoleic acid 24.8%
- Palm Fruit Oil (4), Oleic acid 41%, Linoleic acid 9.5%
- Jojoba Oil (2), Oleic acid 5-15%, Linoleic acid 5%
- Flaxseed Oil (4), Oleic acid 21%, Linoleic acid 16%
- Tamanu Oil (2), Oleic acid 41.4%, Linoleic acid 29.7%
- Argan Oil (2), Oleic acid 42-48%, Linoleic acid 30-38%
- Coconut Oil (4), Oleic acid 5-10%, Linoleic acid 1-2.5%
Will you consider oil cleansing or is it already a staple in your skin care routine? What are some of your favorite oil cleansers? Let me know in the comments.