Gone are the days when I could function like a normal human being on only 3 hours of sleep. If I don’t get seven hours of beauty sleep a night, I will not be a happy camper the next day. This comes as no surprise since most adults need between six and nine hours of sleep every night.
I have learned that a great night of sleep starts way before you go to bed. After deciding what time you need to wake up, establishing a regular bedtime ritual teaches the brain and internal body clock to become familiar with sleep times and wake times.
Establishing a bedtime ritual has really helped me enjoy the rewards of beauty sleep; hopefully, it will help you too!
How to Wind down before Bed
6 Hours before bed
- Stop drinking caffeine. No sodas, energy drinks, coffee or non herbal teas.
3 Hours before bed
- Stop drinking alcohol.
- Start eating a light dinner.
2 Hours before bed
- Finish eating dinner.
- Finish up any light exercises, like stretching.
- Stop drinking fluids.
1 Hour before bed
- Turn off electronics.
- Cool the room and bed.
- Take a warm bath or shower – skin care addicts; this is when we start our relaxing night routine…facial massage anyone?
- Listen to relaxing music like Marconi Union’s, Weightless which sound therapists have rated the most relaxing song in the world.
- Dim the lights.
- Read a book.
A toast to better rest! What are some of your favorite bedtime rituals? Let me know in the comments below.